It Starts at Home: Perspectives on Raising Caring, Kind Children, Dec 19th
On December 19, 2018, Media Impact Funders (MIF) hosted a webinar discussion featuring two esteemed members of the MIF network—long-time MIF board member Joy Thomas Moore and The Pittsburgh Foundation’s President and CEO Maxwell King—whose latest books offer insights on these questions and more related to early childhood development.
In The Power of Presence, Moore explores the seven pillars of presence—heart, faith, mind, courage, financial freedom, values, and connectedness—that all parents can use to positively influence their children. Using compelling stories from women who have been there and practical advice on everything from savings accounts to mindfulness, this book is a compassionate look at what it takes to raise great kids even in less than ideal circumstances.
King’s The Good Neighbor tells the story of Fred Rogers, an utterly unique and enduring American icon. Drawing on original interviews, oral histories and archival documents, King traces Rogers’ personal, professional and artistic life through decades of work, including a surprising decision to walk away from Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood to make television for adults, only to return to the neighborhood with increasingly sophisticated episodes, written in collaboration with experts on childhood development. An engaging story, rich in detail, The Good Neighbor is the definitive portrait of a beloved figure, cherished by multiple generations.
Both of these books are important contributions to shaping the narrative around healthy approaches to child development.
This webinar featured:
- Joy Thomas Moore, President and CEO of JWS Media Consulting and
longtime Media Impact Funders board member
- Maxwell King, President and CEO, The Pittsburgh Foundation
- Hilary Pennington, Executive Vice President of Program, Ford Foundation
- Kristen Burns, Associate Director, The Grable Foundation
- Nina Sachdev, (moderator) Communications Director, Media Impact Funders
Links shared during the webinar:
- Trailer of Won’t You Be My Neighbor, which examines the life and legacy of Fred Rogers.
- Recording of the First Amendment webinar in which Max King was a speaker.
- Joy Thomas Moore’s book: The Power of Presence and a link to her book site.
- Maxwell King’s book: The Good Neighbor.
- More information about The Power of Presence Book Circles project sponsored by The Patterson Foundation on this site.