Funding for Early Childhood Care and Education
A map of philanthropic giving in the U.S.Check out key questions the map helps answer
About This Project
Since 2006 private foundations in the U.S. have made grants of more than $6 billion towards improving early childhood care and education, reflecting a deep commitment to the importance of supporting children and their families during this critical developmental period in their lives.
This mapping project, developed in partnership with the Heising-Simons Foundation, provides both funders and practitioners alike with a birds eye view on where that funding has been concentrated during the last ten years, where there may be gaps – whether geographic or programmatic – that may need to be filled, and who exactly has been at the funding table.
In addition to mapping the data around grantmaking on this subject we have also taken a deeper dive into the existing evidence around two trending topics in the field, family engagement and professional development. Working with researchers from the Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute, we have summarized findings about the types of interventions and approaches that have led to positive outcomes for children.
We welcome you to use this tool in helping to shape your funding and programmatic decisions and encourage you to share it with colleagues who could also benefit from it.
What Can I Learn?
Who is funding work around…
Policy and Early Childhood Systems
Which other funders fund the same grantees as we do?
- The Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Bainum Family Foundation
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Buffett Early Childhood Fund
- The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Einhorn Family Charitable Trust
- The Ford Family Foundation
- Foundation for Child Development
- GAR Foundation
- The George Gund Foundation
- The Grable Foundation
- The Grossman Family Foundation
- The Heinz Endowments
- Heising-Simons Foundation
- Irving Harris Foundation
- J.B. & M.K. Pritzker Family Foundation
- The Kresge Foundation
- Maher Charitable Foundation
- Mimi and Peter Haas Fund
- The Nicholson Foundation
- The Oregon Community Foundation
- The Permanent Fund for Vermont’s Children
- Rauch Foundation
- Robert R. McCormick Foundation
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Rose Community Foundation
- Samuel N. and Mary Castle Foundation
- Sisters of Charity Foundation of Canton
- Stranahan Foundation
- Vanguard Charitable
- W. Clement & Jessie V. Stone Foundation
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- William Caspar Graustein Memorial Fund
- William Penn Foundation
Which grantees exist at the margins of my network and are potentially underfunded?Explore Your Network
How much funding is focused on…
Capital and infrastructure * $507.8 M VS Leadership and Professional Development * $149.6 M
Program development * $3 B VS Policy and Early Childhood Systems * $475.5 M
Deep Dives on Special TopicsThese findings are the result of a systematic review of evidence around two key areas of activity in the field of early childhood care and education. The review was led by a team from the Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute at the University of North Carolina.
* Data reflects private foundation funding from 2006-2016